Wednesday 8 April 2009

Easter

My last blog was before the last Guild Council so this is my rundown to Easter blog. The SHAC is continuing to progress nicely, after Easter I will be arranging meetings with Student Advice to talk through their thoughts on the SHAC. We are nearing a code of standards agreement with the help of Unipol who we have been consulting with throughout the setup with the Council now also wanting to be involved.

The community showcase has developed somewhat - we are not sure that a showcase of the nature I imagined would achieve the goal of raising awareness of students' activities in the community. People may attend, have a go on the bouncy castle and then leave without the message we want them to leave with. We are now currently looking at a more long term communication strategy for the close community. In the meantime, one of the goals of the showcase was to receive more national recognition for what the Guild and students at Birmingham do in the community, this will hopefully be reached somewhat by a Unipol conference which we will be privileged to host here at the Guild this year. Many students union officials from across the country attend the conference which centers around students in the community - there will be time to showcase the Wardens, our community volunteering and the fact that we are one of a handful of unions to have a community Sabb to unions from all over the country.

I attended the Guild Awards, which was a fantastic night thanks to the efforts of Rich and many others. Congratulations to all winners especially Jarratt Hall for their commendation and FOCSOC for winning best RA both committees as well as all RAs deserve this recognition for all the fantastic things that they do. I have also taken on University Challenge and with the help of Representation and Democracy I will be putting together a team for Birmingham, if you are interested in competing just email me at j.ogden@guild.bham.ac.uk

We have been having problems with our emails so if I have not emailed you back in the last few days it is not because I am ignoring you it is because I have not received your email yet. I am now off on annual leave so I will blog on my return on the 20th April, one day after my birthday!

Have a great Easter!

No comments: